2011-06-08

SSL Certificates, Virtual Web Sites, Perl for Apache AuthDigest

Note that I have changed two of my favorite links: (1) Debian is now my Linux distribution of choice and (2) I had to fall back to the more powerful Apache HTTPD server because of features I could not find elsewhere.

I have just finished two Perl scripts to aid in Apache htdigest handling for large numbers of users (a database solution will be better but I don't have the time for that at the moment). The first uses the program *nix program pwgen() to yield reasonably secure clear text passwords for an input list of user names. The second takes an input list of pairs of user names with clear text passwords and produces an Apache htdigest file. I will post them if I get any interested responses.

I have been working part time on multiple virtual hosts on my single cloud httpd server and have learned much--with lots to go. The main sites are two for my college and high school graduating classes and one for my company (and I would be very interested in critiques of them):

In the process of building the web sites I found a source for a reasonably priced SSL certificate for multiple virtual hosts on a single server: StartSSL whom I highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment